10 September 2017

Side Notes--Los Perros

I'm only five days into this trip--outside the United States--and I've made friends, fallen in love, and had my heart broken. I'm not talking about people, but about all the dogs I've seen. Anyone who knows me even a little knows how much I love dogs, and there have been many here, in just these few short days, to see.

Dogs are dogs everywhere one goes, I guess; some are bold, some are afraid, some are protective, and some just really want to be loved.

In Puertecitos, two dogs came walking over to the bikes while we were in the market. They were probably in the 55 lb. range, and some weird mutt-brown color, but they both totally reminded me of my friend Nikki's dog, Romulus. I could tell immediately they were friendly, though they were both a bit cowed--heads down and tails down--while curious.

Ears and heads immediately perked up when I said something to them in a friendly way. They started trotting around the bikes, sniffing, and peeing on the front wheels--like you do if you're a dog, I guess. And while I was sitting on my bike, looking to the right, one stood up on his back legs and put his front paws on my thigh. He didn't even seem to mind that the bike rocked a bit from the unexpected added push from that side.

I talked to him and gave him some pets on his head, and was immediately sad to see his first reaction as my hand came towards him was to cower. That just hurt my heart. The best I could think to do was pet him and talk sweetly to him, giving him a good day--a few minutes when he could know someone liked him.

All the dogs we've seen have appeared to be mutts of some sort, with the exception of what I can only imagine are the pure bred Chihuahuas. There haven't been any giants, though a big fluffy black and tan guy--who, for good measure, peed on our front wheels also--was super sweet and friendly. He seems to live at the Hotel Malarrimo in Guerrero Negro, and likes to say hello to the guests who are camping there.

There is one I have seen who I would like to bring home. I guess that didn't take long. She is brindle and white, and has the cutest sticky-out ears. She has probably had a few litters of pups, though judging by how much time she spends near and with me, they aren't around anymore. She wiggles and wags her tail, trotting up anytime she sees me. She'd give me kisses all day long if I let her.

She must have a family who treats her nicely, as her first instinct is not to cower when I raise a hand to pet her. She is so skinny, though that could be because she has obviously been feeding pups. She looks for love, and is readily willing to accept it from strangers, and return in kind. Another good doggy ambassador. For the two days while I am here in Puerto San Carlos, I will pet her and call her Flower.

The four-leggeds don't care if you don't speak their language perfectly. After days of struggling to have conversations in other languages, I find it refreshing to settle into the ease of new friendships in a doggy language I seem to be fairly fluent in.

!Buen Perro!

She's a leaner!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment